Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Disney Played Me

         Monday was great.  I got to take an extra day to study for the Starace Latin America (that I probably screwed up anyway) and I also got some great deals at the Folsom outlets, thanks to the Memorial Day Weekend Sales.  One of the gems I found was this pair of Vans.
          JUNGLE BOOK VANS!!!  When I saw this, I immediately had to buy them.  Believe it or not, I actually have not watched the Jungle Book film; the original animation or the recent CGI film.  I bought the pair of shoes because this is my form of self-expression/rebellion/staying cool, or whatever you want to call it.
          In my opinion, I have a pretty solid line-up of shoes.  I have Star Wars, two animal prints, one with Selena Quintanilla, and now I have added a Jungle Book pair. I guess I'm not living with the "simple bare/bear necessities," but at least I have one for every day of the school week! *self high-five
          So what does this have to do with media and Merchants of Cool?  Disney, one of the major companies that controls air-time on TV, collaborated to create this pair of shoes and a whole line up (and also the Star Wars pair and line up.)  Vans feed off of teenagers or people that want to be "unique," so they collaborate with one of the major networking companies, to get what is considered "cool" on their shoes.
          Although it may seem nerdy to some, having Star Wars or Disney characters on your shoes is just another way that the major television networks influence our everyday life; if you purchase these items, or anything with their label.
          I also think it is interesting that whenever I slip on these Jungle Book shoes, I am in a way representing Kipling, the same man who wrote White Man's Burden.  #DisneyMadeKiplingCool
         




No comments:

Post a Comment